Sunday, January 27, 2013

1/22/13- Gingerbread Tutorial, The Thirteen

Sarah Q.
CETA Notes
January 22nd, 2013


Gingerbread tutorial, The Thirteen, Girl Crushes.

On Tuesday our class period was split into two parts:
Part I: Gingerbread tutorial

Part II: experiencing The Thirteen

Part I.
A few Notes on the art of Gingerbread making:

I.  I don’t care for a tight cloistering of people, and my hobbit-like stature kept me from seeing most of the action.
A.  That, however, was completely ok with me because I am not a visual learner  
B.  Furthermore, I didn’t want to get flour on my mostly black getup (been down that road-- it’s a bad place.)

II. We did learn that this gingerbread is not particularly pleasant to consume

III.  I personally learned about one of Archie’s highschool friends who majored in my current course of study.
A.  He has been unemployed ever since
B.  That conversation ended much more bleakly than initially anticipated.

IV. If you are like me:
A.  I am so sorry.
B.   Kremena has been lovely enough to email us the written instructions.

V.  We must each have 10 tiles completed by Wednesday, January 30th.
A.  Baking junk is in the kitchen of Shearer
B.  Tiles are on the drying rack for size reference
C.  Consider using two meter sticks on either side of the dough when rolling it out for uniform thickness.

Part II
Considering Bianca Sprigg’s “The Thirteen”

I.  Bianca Spriggs has the most commanding, eloquent, and beautiful speaking voice I have ever heard
A.  I’m already excitedly nervous to meet her
B.  I think I may be in love with Bianca Spriggs.

II. “The Thirteen” strove to honor the lives of 13 African-American women who were lynched, or otherwise murdered, at the hands of racial intolerance in KY after the civil war.
A.  The presentation incorporated instrumentals, lyrics, spoken word, and visual aids that made for what seemed to be very intimate brush with, and partial understanding of, the lives lost.
B.  I cried a little bit. Several times. All the while begging any deity that would listen to keep a friend sitting next to me from seeing how damn sensitive I am.

III. The event concluded with a reading of the names of the 13 women lost, along with the region of Kentucky from which they hailed.

IV. Ultimately, “The Thirteen” seemed  a lamentation of hate, intolerance, and injustice, but also a celebration of life, love, and womanhood. The depth and darkness of mortality is the only lens through which the light of all being can be seen. I loved “The Thirteen,” and it makes me cry to think of it now. I’m a weenie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment