Tuesday, February 26, 2013

2/20- Love Letters, Tulips, and a Hair Hare.

Love Letters, Tulips, and a Hair Hare.


On Wednesday, the class met at Fleet Street to:

I.  Participate in a Love-Letter-Writing Workship

II.  make tulips

III.  Fawn over a very dapper rabbit.


Part I

After some socializing, snacks, and perhaps a bit too much chocolate on my part, the class and guests settled down and formed a circle to participate in Katerina Stoykova-Klemer’s workshop entitled “Bigger than They Appear, A Close Look at the Very Short Poem.”

            A. Katarina first discussed the merit, and import, of scope when dealing with such          a short poem, with a focus on answering the questions:
i.  What are the characteristics of a short poem?

ii.Why do we want to write them?
                                 
iii.  When are they appropriate?

iv.  How to start writing a very short poem?
                       
v.  How long is a very short poem?

B.  After we mulled over these questions, Katerina  shared with us “several tools of the short poem.” These included:
i.  Title

                        ii. Word Choice
                                   
iii.  Use of well-understood principles and concepts
                       
iv.  Creative use of clichés

            C. Katerina asked that we go around the room, reading the various examples of each of these tools. We were then asked to go around in a circle, reading poems from another handout
i.  My personal favorite was by Chocolate Waters:
                                               
                                                I Used To
                                                make love.
                                                Now I
                                                make coffee.

            D. We were then encouraged to take a moment to reflect and create our own        short poems, and to share them with the class (if we felt so-inclined.)

                        i. I had no idea I was being closed in on by so many great poets

ii. I loved it.

Part II.

The class concluded with the mass production of origami tulips

A.  I’m not very good at making origami tulips
           
B.  I am, however, very good and sneaking off to stash more chocolate for later     while others are making origami tulips.


Part III.

While stealing (read: creatively taking) chocolate, I made great friends with a rabbit. His eyes looked into my soul, and he may have let me touch his ear.

A.  I’ve never touched a bunny before.

B.  Bunny ears are magic.

            C. I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment